Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Eurotrip 2009






...So the semester that is the eurotrip officially began this past weekend with our adventure to Munich, (Munchen, Monaco) Germany. I can now say I have been in Italy, Austria, and Germany which is completely insane for me to think about.

To start off with...an update on Rome.

1) Rome is probably the most gorgeous city on the planet. The ruins, statues, and buildings are all beautiful and I really can think of one ugly landmark I have seen so far.

2) People in Rome are not exceedingly friendly...not that they are mean, I wouldn't say that by any stretch of the word. I like to smile on the street, and I may occasionally whistle while walking (don't judge) but here there is no exchange of smiles with strangers, and just looks of "why are you here?" from most people on the streets of our local neighborhood. I have noticed people in the bars (cafes) and small groceries are starting to be very nice as I try my VERY limited Italian which is really sweet. Also another exception the the adorbable grandma who runs the pizza place next to our apartment. She always calls us beautiful, and commends us on our efforts to learn Italian, because after all she doesn't know any English.

3) Rome is SO EXPENSIVE. It's partially the terrible exchange rate, the feeling like I'm somewhat on a european vacation instead of studying abroad, and partially just big city living. But I swear everything here is just a lot of money. I've only been shopping once, and for those who know me...it is a whole new life change for me :)

4) Overall Rome is the perfect city for me to be studying in, and being in Munich this weekend reaffirmed that attitude for me. Munich was beautiful, friendly, and very much like America (at least comparatively). Rome is a challenge, and I think that's what I needed. New language, new culture, and new things are why are chose to study abroad. I need to expand my horizons (cheesy I know).

So back to everything. I've been here for 3 weeks tomorrow. Sometimes I can't believe it and I literally feel like I just stepped off the plane. Sometimes I feel as if I have been here for months and months and will be leaving shortly. I think part of this is that I'm such a baby about being homesick! I always have been and hopefully won't always will be. At this point I think my parents probably think I'm a total nut job, because when I ever I talk to them I tell them how much fun I'm having as I tear up. I wish I could just accept everything as it comes and make the best of the crazy short time I have here (already 1/5 done!?).

Munich this weekend was probably one of the highlights of my life up to this point. I would basically describe Oktoberfest as the fantasy carnival for 18-28 year olds. It involves beer, carnival rides, mass amounts of people in a small area, dancing, wearing costumes, and basically overall debauchery which is accepted by absolutely everyone there. I can't recommend enough that everyone goes at least once in their life. For us it was the perfect combination of Oktoberfesting and experiencing how amazing Munich as a city is.

Friday we did a bike tour that took us all around the city and made a stop at the worlds second largest beer garden. It was so amazing to see the WWII history the city has, and also all the great architecture from the middle ages. Everything in the city relates to beer, beer halls and their effect on decision making and public events in Munich. Later that night we went to the Hofbrauhaus Brewery in Marienplatz (the old town square) which was are first taste of the craziness Oktoberfest had to offer.

Saturday we woke up around 6:30am, ate breakfast and went right to the fairgrounds to wait in line for entrance into the Hofbraushaus tent. The tent holds about 10,000 people and we had heard that this was the craziest, most diverse tent on the grounds. So around 8:30 they opened the tent doors, and it was literally a mad rush like Wal-Mart on black friday X3000000. We were hearded through the doors and found a table in the back center sitting with about 8 Germans, and next to a big table of Aussies. It felt like the longest wait ever for the mayor to come in and tap the ceremonial first keg at 12 noon. When the first beer was served the fun began...it was probably one of the most entertaining days ever. I met so many hilarious people and had such an amazing time. We left the tent at around 9pm to go on rides and stuff our faces with German carnival food. We crashed back at the hostel around 11pm and I think were all asleep within about 10min of getting back.

Sunday we went to the Lowenbrau tent for a few more liters before our 13 hour bus ride (a rock hit our door, causing a 2hr delay) back to Rome.

All in all it was an unreal weekend, literally a once in a lifetime experience. I hope everyone gets to go at least once in their life.

I have a trip to Florence this weekend with our school, and I hope to post more when I get back on Monday about AUR, living abroad, and Italia!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers