Thursday, November 26, 2009

Going Dutch




Oh Amsterdam, you put up a front as if you are just waffles and weed...when really there is so much more right over the bridge.

Our last stop during Eurotrip 2009 was Amsterdam, and we were there for two days. We took the train from Paris to Amsterdam, which was an enjoyable (besides the annoying American students from France two rows up) and scenic 3 hour trip with a short stop in Brussels.

As with Paris, we fell asleep at the hostel around 10pm the first night. I know what your thinking we are crazy college kids with no shame in Holland, what is wrong with us?! I realized I just can't force myself to go out like other people. If I'm dead tired, you won't see me passed out on the bar, I would much rather be in my "cozy" twin hostel bed with a book on the pillow next to me. Feel free to call me a grandma behind my back because sometimes I feel like that. A friend in Rome has said "You can sleep when you're dead"...to this I say "You can sleep when you're tired".

Our hostel was an old converted school house situated on Vondelpark, which is a picturesque area of green grass with constant bike traffic. The most popular mode of transportation in the Netherlands is by bike...and the Dutch mean business when it comes to pedestrians walking in their lanes. On no less than 3 occasions did I almost cause bike related injuries, and I don't think I really want to know the translation of what was being said under the riders breath.

So the next day Martin and I wandered around the square close to our hotel called Leidsplien. There were many different restaurants and shops, as well as several "coffee shops" that Amsterdam is famous for.

A coffee shop is the only place in the Amsterdam is where Marijuana is legally sold. It's sort of like going into your local starbucks, but instead of expertise in coffee, your barista knows exactly what sort of herbal remedy to recommend. Personally I found it a pleasant change from the United States strict policy on "soft" drugs...but that's another topic for another blog. Smoking isn't for me, it never has been, but I think their attitude suggesting there are may worse things you could be doing is one I agree with.

Later we went to the Heineken Experience. There are several of these types of attractions throughout Europe, such as the Guinness Factory. I think this is because the lower drinking age is the perfect target market for these media centric fan experiences. It was really interesting in general and I felt like a true Heineken expect when we left.

We also took a canal cruise around the city later in the day. We met some law students studying abroad from Pepperdine, and I don't think I've heard as many crazy travel stories the whole time I have been in Europe as I did from the three blonde 24 year old's sitting next to us in one hour. I think I should have felt inspired to see more of the world from this conversation, but honestly in made me miss the normality of my friends and family back in New England.

For now this is all I have on Amsterdam, this is one post I hope I can go back and improve when I return to New York. It really was a great city, with an interesting point of view to back up amazing history. All I can say is Holland isn't just windmills anymore, but a forward thinking destination with old world charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers