Monday, October 12, 2009

Pisa, Florence, and Trequanda





It feels a little wrong that I haven't written about this amazing weekend trip until now. It's like thanking someone for that nice gesture they made by holding the door open, two weeks later.

AUR did such an amazing job planning this trip, especially when I think about the limited resources they have as a small school. Everything went off without any problems and it was probably the best itinerary we could have had for the time we were there.

Friday we left school at 7:3o am. Strangely enough for a group of college students everyone was there on time, and I was actually the last person to get on the bus. We drove about 4 hours with the majority of us sleeping off a Thursday night in Rome. When we arrived in Pisa, I think the first thing that struck me was how small the tower actually was. I think when you see it portrayed in pictures it just seems like a massive falling wonder, but in person although very interesting it's much less impressive. I think it's somewhere mandatory to go though if you are going to be spending an extended amount of time in Italy. It really was an adorable town, and we spent the rest of the afternoon looking at leaning coffee mugs, lamps, and paperweights.

Let me just preface this paragraph by saying Florence is probably the best city to study abroad in Italy. I love Rome, don't get me wrong...it's much cosmopolitan and urban. Comparatively from the short time I was there I got the feeling that Florence is to Boston, as New York is to Rome...and I know I'm a Boston girl at heart. At the center of the city is the Duomo which is beautiful church and dome overlooking the whole area. You can climb to the top to get a great 360 degree view, but I decided to save that for my parents visit in December. We took a tour of the city and with every block it felt more and more home like. They have an amazing outdoor market which sells leather that would put a vegan to the test. I bought a leather jacket that I had no intentions of purchasing, but as soon as I tried it on I knew it was too late. The architecture there is so incredible, let's just say the Medici family knew what they were doing.

Donatella Cinelli Colombini. If that's not the most Italian name you have ever heard...then your life probably mirrors The Godfather movies (at least 1 and 2) perfectly. At her farmhouse, vineyard, olive grove, and restaurant is where we spent our last day in Tuscany. After the touring of the first two days this was a welcome relaxation day. We first toured the wine production areas then tasted two of their most popular bottles. It was nice to be able to savor wine and really taste the flavors. I would like to say I will never drink boxed wine again, but I would have to have my fingers crossed behind my back. I will at least try to have the class to spring for the Yellowtail bottles. Next, we handmade our own pasta, and were treated to a five course meal with wine to match. I still don't know how Italians stay thin. I understand with McDonald's and BK how the United States is so obese, but tasting food so delicious as in Trequanda I think I could literally eat myself into oblivion. We spent the last few hours relaxing by their pool with stunning views of the Tuscan valley in the background.

It's a strange feeling now that I have finally settled in to living in Italy. I only have two months left before my parents come to Rome, and my experience here will be over. I know eight weeks seems like a long time, but knowing how fast 5 have gone by already, wow. Everyone always told me it would fly by, but now it's really hitting me that I won't be here forever. I'm definitely missing New England fall, but there will always be more apples to pick, more cider to drink, and more leaves to rake. For now carpe diem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers